Updated on 5 May 2023
Step 1: Clean the pads
YOU WILL NEED
First of all, do not let other users wear your headphones. By force of use, they are exposed to earwax, sweating, dirt and/or dust. As a result, it generates bacteria or microbes that lodge in the earphone.
It is, therefore, necessary to clean them to preserve their durability. The cleaning process depends on the type of nozzles or ear tips the earphones have.
Silicone ones are very easy to clean and dry quickly.
- Remove the silicone nozzles and place them in a container filled with hot water (about 40°C) and potassium or Marseille soap for a few minutes.
- Then, after having rubbed them a little in the water, you can remove small stains and earwax with a cotton swab or toothbrush.
- After that, simply rinse them with cold water and dry them with a clean kitchen towel.
The plastic ones, most commonly found in AirPods, are also easy to clean.
- First, use a dry toothbrush to clean the metal mesh and remove debris. As earwax is more tenacious, use a toothpick to finish the job.
- Then repeat the same operation with a disinfectant-soaked swab and wipe.
The shape memory ones are difficult both to clean and dry.
- Start with a hot water solution without soap. After rubbing them a little in water, use a toothbrush or toothpick to get rid of the dirt.
- Then wring out and wipe the pads with a clean rag and leave them to air dry for several hours.
Step 2: Brushing the body and mesh of each earphone
YOU WILL NEED
The earphone mesh is one of the most delicate parts to wash. It acts as a filter against earwax and ensures the proper functioning of the headphones. Again, you will need a toothbrush and an earbud. Placed downwards, gently scrub to remove debris, without letting it enter through the device.
Fortunately, the structure is easy to clean. Just wipe it with a damp cloth or a slightly damp cloth, without touching the mesh, of course.
Step 3: Taking care of the charging case
YOU WILL NEED
It is advisable to store the earphones in a dry, clean place, protected from sun and/or heat or humidity. The case is not only for charging the headphones but also for storing and protecting them.
Use warm water and soap to clean the outside of the case, as well as a cotton swab, a small microfibre cloth or a toothbrush to scrub the walls of the charging case.
The Best Wireless Earbuds of the moment
|Our choice, Best mid-range||Best budget||Best high-end||Mid-range alternative||High-end alternative|
|Soundcore Space A40||Jabra Elite 3||Sony WF-1000XM4||Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro||Apple AirPods Pro 2|
|The Space A40s combines good sound performance, interesting features and great durability. Their app also enhances the user experience.||Simplicity and efficiency are probably the two words that best sum up these affordable headphones. Although they lack options, they are durable and comfortable for ears.||Another big hit from Sony, with another success in sound control, audio quality and endurance. They are aimed at the demanding audiophile.||Without any major flaws, these headphones are at the top of the podium because they manage to combine comfort, good sound and endurance, while offering more advanced customisation and connection options.||With effective active noise reduction, excellent microphones and dynamic sound, its sound performance is exceptional with an iPhone. Comfort and low latency also stand out.|
Translated by Ramsés El Hajje