Posted on 7 July 2022
If you want to keep a drink warm for 5 hours or cool for 12 hours, we strongly recommend the Contigo Transit. This model has a capacity of 470 ml and is very easy to use in everyday life. During our tests, it proved to be practical, solid and completely airtight, so you can safely carry it in a bag. In addition, it is available in a range of colours, so there is something for everyone.
Stainless steel is the most commonly used material as it is rust resistant.
It is important that your mug keeps your drink at the right temperature for a few hours.
For the summer, it must be able to keep your drink cool.
An airtight model is even more practical because you can slip it into your bag without any problem.
If you want your mug to keep your day's drink, the ideal capacity is 1L.
Some locking systems have a valve, others are more sophisticated.
It is important that your mug can be washed easily.
With a capacity of 360 ml, this Wilford & Sons mug is an excellent choice if you want a smaller capacity model. During our tests, it was capable of keeping a drink hot for 4 hours and cool for 8 hours. It has a wide opening, which makes it easy to fill and maintain. You can also easily store it in a bag thanks to its compact size.
For a large capacity mug, we recommend the stainless steel Thermos King the most. In our tests, it was able to keep drinks hot or cold for up to 24 hours, making it the best performing model in our selection. Its 1.2L capacity is ideal if you do not want to stop on the way to refill. It also proved to be waterproof during our tests.
Despite its more affordable price, the Emsa 515617 surprised us with its capacity and its ability to keep drinks hot for 5 hours or cool for 8 hours. In addition, it has an easy opening and a silicone coating that makes it comfortable to hold. This coating allows it to stay cool, even if you fill it with boiling liquid.
The Contigo West Loop is another of the brand’s top products. With a capacity of 470 ml, it is equivalent to the Contigo Transit described above, allowing you to fill two coffee cups. It is waterproof and very easy to use thanks to its Autoseal system. We find the West Loop easier to drink from than the Contigo because the cap is better positioned on the surface. However, the West Loop does not have an anti-slip surface or a cap protector.
|Our choice, Best mid-range||Best budget||Best high-end||Budget alternative||Mid-range alternative|
|Contigo Transit||Wilford & Sons||Thermos King||Emsa 515617||Contigo West Loop|
|This 470 ml model currently has the best price-quality ratio, thanks to its good hot/cold maintenance, its practicality, its waterproofing and its solidity. Its design is also very attractive.||This small capacity mug stands out for its resistance, its pleasant grip and its easy opening button (press button). Its compact size makes it the smallest mug in our selection.||This model is both the largest (1.2 L) and the most efficient (keeps drinks hot and cold for 24 hours) of our selection. We liked the handle and the lid that doubles as a cup.||This slightly larger mug (500 ml) has proven to be capable of keeping liquids hot despite its low price. The 360° opening and the silicone coating make it very pleasant and easy to use.||We chose this model for its waterproofness, its practicality (easy opening/closing system) and its design. While it has a good performance in maintaining temperature, it also makes it easy to drink.|
Contigo Pinnacle 2095405 (£20.99 upon publication): Pinnacle mugs are stainless steel and double walled, allowing them to keep drinks hot for up to 3 hours and cool for up to 10 hours. With a capacity of only 300ml, it is the smallest capacity listed in this comparison, but this may be sufficient for some users who do not wish to use plastic cups. Its small size makes it easy to carry around with you!
Klean Kanteen (£22.50 upon publication): this model has a capacity of approximately 400 ml and is guaranteed to be free of plastics, BPA, BPS and sulphates. Thanks to its double stainless steel wall, it can keep drinks hot or cold for several hours. It should be noted, however, that it is not 100% leakproof (opening on the lid for drinking). According to some users, the paint also tends to flake off after some time of use. In addition, the price-quality ratio is currently more interesting in America.
Zojirushi SM-SD60RC (£32.38 upon publication): this mug has a capacity of 600 ml and is made of stainless steel. It can keep its contents warm or cool for up to 12 hours (it retains heat so well that you have to be careful not to burn yourself). Moreover, the opening and closing mechanism is very easy to lock (with one hand). Once secured, it does not let any of its contents escape. Although this is an excellent choice, we did not include it in our selection because we feel that the price differences between the different models (colours and capacities) are not always justified.
Why trust us ?
Selectos compares and tests hundreds of products to help you buy better. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy through our links, which helps fund our work. Learn more
How to choose your travel mug?
A travel mug is a useful accessory in everyday life, whether at home, in the office or outdoors. However, with so much on offer, it can be difficult to make a choice.
To help you, we have put together a list of important criteria that you should consider before deciding on a model:
- Materials: travel mugs are mainly made of stainless steel, a material that is compatible with food and resistant to rust. For any plastic parts (mainly the lid), it is important to ensure that it is BPA (Bisphenol A) free so that no toxic materials are released when in contact with the drink.
- Capacity: if you only want to use it for your morning coffee or simply to replace the disposable plastic cups offered by coffee shops, a capacity of 300/400 ml is more than enough. However, if your mug is intended to keep your drink for the whole day, you will need to opt for a much larger container (around 1 L).
- Efficiency: the efficiency of travel mugs varies between models. If you are looking to keep your drinks hot for just a few hours, then most mugs will do. If, on the other hand, you need your drinks to stay hot or cold for long hours, you will certainly need to invest a little more. In any case, check that the model you choose is airtight, which will also allow you to keep your mug closed in your bag, and not have to hold it upright in your hand.
- Practicality: this should be reflected in both the size and the closing system. Some work with a simple hermetic valve, while others have more sophisticated systems, such as Contigo’s Autoseal technology, which allows the mug to close automatically between each sip to avoid any risk of spillage. There are different solutions to ensure a perfect seal, a hygienic and an airtight system.
- Maintenance: for hygienic and taste reasons, it is recommended to take good care of your mug. Some models can be easily washed in the dishwasher, including the lid. In this case, choose one that can be dismantled easily and that does not have too many sub-parts.
Translated by Aylin Akturk