Updated on 17 March 2023
This sorbet maker performs well, has a simple design, just like its use, which makes it a model with a very good price-quality ratio.See the price on Amazon
After our tests, we can say that the Lagrange sorbet maker is the best entry-level solution thanks to its ease of use and its performance, which allows you to obtain a ready-to-eat ice cream in a very good time of 30 minutes. Its general design can be improved but it remains quite satisfactory for an appliance of this price, although there are some doubts about the general solidity. The noise level is a little higher than with other sorbet makers.
In the summer months, who doesn't fancy a nice ice cream?
Before use, the bowl filled with cooling liquid should be placed in the freezer for 10-12 hours.
Pay attention to the size of the bowl.
Most of the tubs can hold between 1 and 2 L of ice cream.
The preparation time is between 20-45 minutes, but varies depending on the power of your model.
One litre of ice cream is enough to serve four people.
Grapefruit flavour... Perfect for summer!
It is a beautifully designed machine for making sorbets, ice cream and frozen yoghurt in a short time. Simple but effective, we think it is a good investment.See the price on Amazon
This appliance made a good impression on us as soon as we unpacked it, as it is made of quality materials. In practice, however, the assembly of the various parts takes some practice to master completely. Fortunately, the operation is very simple, as you only need to press the central button to turn it on. In addition, we were able to enjoy a very consistent, ready-to-drink sorbet after only 20 minutes. On the other hand, we can regret the absence of a timer for a product in this price range. Cleaning is also easy: the lid and blade are dishwasher safe, so just remember to rinse the bowl thoroughly after use to make it easy to wash by hand.
The Rolls Royce of ice cream makers: this appliance is the ideal choice to make two types of sorbet or ice cream simultaneously, as it is equipped with two tanks.See the price on Amazon
The Cuisinart model is larger than a conventional sorbet maker, but we were completely convinced by the quality of its construction. During our tests, we were able to appreciate its well-thought-out design, which facilitates both use and maintenance, as well as its low noise level and its performance when stirring. The result is a perfect ice texture for an immediate consumption in just 20 to 25 minutes maximum.
This model has a rather appealing design, although it left us with some doubts about the quality of its materials in the long run. However, its performance is very satisfactory for its price.See the price on Amazon
This model has a few more parts than its competitors, as the bowl fits into a plastic housing with a ring for easy removal. Despite this, the installation was fairly straightforward, as all the parts fit together very easily. The operation of the ice cream maker is also very simple: you just In our tests, both sorbets and ice creams reached optimum consistency in just 15-20 minutes. As for maintenance, all parts should be washed by hand, as they cannot be put in the dishwasher. Finally, given the quality of its materials, we have doubts about its long-term service life.
|Our choice, Best budget||Best mid-range||Best high-end||Budget alternative|
|Lagrange 409001||SEB IG500131||Cuisinart ICE40BCE||Duronic IM540|
|This sorbet maker performs well, has a simple design, just like its use, which makes it a model with a very good price-quality ratio.||It is a beautifully designed machine for making sorbets, ice cream and frozen yoghurt in a short time. Simple but effective, we think it is a good investment.||The Rolls Royce of ice cream makers: this appliance is the ideal choice to make two types of sorbet or ice cream simultaneously, as it is equipped with two tanks.||This model has a rather appealing design, although it left us with some doubts about the quality of its materials in the long run. However, its performance is very satisfactory for its price.|
|See the price on Amazon||See the price on Amazon||See the price on Amazon||See the price on Amazon|
Why trust us ?
Selectos compares and tests hundreds of products to help you buy better. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy through our links, which helps fund our work. Learn more
How do we test?
The first phase of the test began with a careful unpacking of each ice cream maker, to assess the quality of the design and ease of assembly. Each tub had to be placed in the freezer for the time recommended in the instructions for use, allowing us to judge its size.
We then prepared several ice creams and sorbets with each ice cream maker. In doing so, we evaluated the ease of use, the time needed to prepare the desserts and, above all, the consistency of the ice creams. Finally, we cleaned each appliance to analyse its ease of cleaning and storage.
How to choose sorbet maker?
During summer, you cannot say no to a good ice cream, and even less so to a homemade ice cream! The advantage is that you can measure out the sugar yourself and choose fresh products according to your wishes.
To help you choose a sorbet maker of quality, we have put together a series of important features to consider before buying:
- Frequency of use: a sorbet maker works with a tank filled with a refrigerating liquid, which must be placed in the freezer for 10 to 12 hours before preparing the ice cream. If you want to make several stirrings of ice cream in a row, you need to put the bowl back in the freezer between each stirring. If you want to prepare larger quantities and/or do so more quickly, it is better to invest in an ice cream maker, but this will cost more.
- Capacity of the bowl: this will determine the quantity of ice cream you can make. Most bowls vary between 1 and 2 litres, but it is important to note that the amount of liquid you put in the bowl should be less than this, as the mixture will increase in volume. 1 L of ice cream is enough to treat about 4 people.
- Size: most sorbet makers come in the standard size of a household appliance. It is the size of the bowl that should be taken into account, as it will take up a considerable amount of space in your freezer. In any case, the freezer of your refrigerator will unfortunately be insufficient.
- Preparation time: this can vary depending on the model and the amount of preparation, but generally it takes 20 to 45 minutes. The power of the machine will also affect its efficiency.
- Timer: although not a necessary option, the presence of a timer is always welcome to time the preparation. Sometimes it is coupled with an automatic shut-off.
- Maintenance: although all parts are generally removable, the assembly is not always designed for easy maintenance. You should also be aware that most parts should be washed by hand.
Other models we recommend
Princess 282605 (£71.03 upon publication): simple to use, tedious to clean. Overall, we managed to prepare a fairly convincing ice cream after leaving it in the freezer for another 30-60 minutes. The appliance is pleasant to use, except for the fateful moment of cleaning, which is tedious. In our opinion, it is a very good value for money and will suit most homemade ice cream lovers.
Krups Perfect Mix 9000 (£79.99 upon publication): a perfect test on all levels but stopped production. This ice-cream maker was the best performer in our tests, with a perfect ice cream texture for immediate enjoyment in just 10-15 minutes and unrivalled ease of use and maintenance. Unfortunately, it is becoming increasingly rare in online stores, leading to fears of its total disappearance from the market.
Translated by Selectos