Posted on 21 June 2022
The Kuhn Rikon 132024 stood out in our tests because of its large capacity and its well thought-out spinning mechanism. To spin the food, simply turn the (eccentric) crank and then press the brake to stop the basket. In our tests, this spinner proved to be efficient and very easy to use. Its features combined with its reasonable price make it our best choice at the moment.
To make your job easier, it is necessary to choose a salad spinner of quality.
Stainless steel salad spinners have the advantage to look nice and, on top of that, to be durable.
For an optimal spin drying, we advise you to choose a spinner that varies the direction of rotation.
The size of the spinner depends on the size of the salad. The standard diameter is 25 cm.
Some models have a stop button, which is a rather interesting feature.
The Westmark is a basic but functional spinner, and quite pretty with its red touches. It is made of plastic (polypropylene) and works with a crank handle. Thanks to this system, the spin drying is easy to operate and the grip is comfortable. Our tests showed that it was easy to hold and a little quieter during spinning than some of its competitors. Its large 5L capacity is suitable for large families.
Marketed by a German company ‘Leifheit’, this salad spinner is an ideal choice at a low price. In our tests, this model with a handle won us over with its large capacity (4 L), its neat design and its ease of use. Available in four colours, it has a modern, no-frills design. It is made of solid plastic and is operated by a crank handle.
The Leifheit ComfortLine can be used not only as a spinner and drainer (the basket is heat-resistant), but also as a salad bowl, thanks to its elegant design. This saves time and space in the kitchen! This type of spinner will be particularly appreciated by those who use the cord spinning mechanism. In our tests, this model proved to be practical and efficient.
|Our choice, Best mid-range||Best budget||Budget alternative||Mid-range alternative|
|Kuhn Rikon 132024||Westmark 2432224R||Leifheit 23069||Leifheit ComfortLine|
|In our tests, this model convinced us with its ease of use and efficient spinning mechanism, as well as its large capacity. It has an easy-to-grip crank handle and a very effective stop button.||This hand cranked spinner stands out for its ease of use, large capacity, light weight and affordable price. It is one of the simplest but also one of the most practical we have tested.||During our tests, this hand-cranked model stood out for its compactness, ease of use and affordable price. It also stands out for its container that can be used as a salad bowl and for its easy-to-hold handle.||This spinner stands out for its ease of use (corded spin mechanism), stability (non-slip bottom) and large capacity. The container can be used as a salad bowl or colander.|
Oxo Good Grips (£25.49 upon publication): a transparent model. This solid plastic BPA-free spinner stands out for its sober appearance (transparent) and its innovative spinning system. The spin system uses a patented plunger and stop button for a fast and efficient spinning. The large bowl can be used as a salad bowl and the basket as a colander. However, the stop button is slightly less efficient than its competitors and the central plunger tends to crush the salad.
Zyliss Swift Dry (£27.45 upon publication): a solution with a lever. This spinner is distinguished by its lever mechanism and its original design. In our tests, it proved to be practical and efficient. On the downside, we simply note that the basket is more difficult to wash and wipe than the others because of its atypical shape.
Why trust us ?
Selectos compares and tests hundreds of products to help you buy better. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy through our links, which helps fund our work. Learn more
How to choose your salad spinner?
The salad spinner is one of those kitchen utensils that, when it works well, goes unnoticed (we use it without thinking). But when problems arise, they become our bête noire. It is therefore necessary to choose a quality salad spinner that does its job efficiently to make your job easier.
To help you find a quality model, here are some features to consider before making a purchase:
- Size: this depends on a number of factors such as the size of the salad you usually buy and the space you have in your cupboards (the diameter of a standard spinner is around 25/26 cm). However, smaller versions of spinners (around 20 cm in diameter) are available on the market, ideal for small families and/or small spaces.
- Spinning mode: if the spinning modes existing on the market are by crank, rope or piston, we particularly recommend the rope system, which, in addition to being efficient, requires the least amount of force. In addition, it allows for a lid without a grill (usually present in the case of a crank) and avoids wasting space in the basket (unlike piston systems). Moreover, many offer a spin in a varying direction in order to stir the salad well, and thus spin optimally.
- Materials: most spinners are made of plastic (BPA-free), but the bowl can be transparent or opaque. There are also stainless steel spinners which not only look nice but are also durable. Some baskets can be used as a colander and some bowls can be used as a salad bowl. Some multi-functional models also have a heat-resistant basket that can be converted into a conventional colander, even for hot food. This saves a colander and space in the kitchen!
- Storage: given the often imposing size of the salad spinner, it is always a good idea to opt for a model with a flat lid when possible, so that you can easily arrange this utensil in your cupboards. So pay attention to this detail, especially if you are short of space.
- Cleaning: it is imperative to be able to clean your salad spinner easily. If the basket and the bowl are generally washed very quickly, the lid can sometimes be a problem, especially when it has a grid on the bottom (quite common with models that have a crank handle). A tip: choose a spinner with a smooth lid on the underside, which will not require special attention to remove small pieces of stuck salad.
- Little extras: some of the more elaborate (and therefore more expensive) models have a pouring spout directly in the lid, which allows you to drain the water without having to open the spinner and remove the basket. This saves time and is much easier to use, as you can spin with an intermediate drain in a very short time.
Translated by Aylin Akturk