Updated on 30 January 2023
With its discreet design, this masturbator is very practical and can easily be stored in a drawer. The bottomless design also makes it very easy to clean: just rinse it under water, rub a little and then dry it. During our tests, we were pleasantly surprised by the sensation we felt despite its simple, bottomless design. However, we didn’t notice a big difference between the vaginal and anal sides. We found it interesting to explore fantasies and add a little imagination when using them. Being fully manual, it requires no power supply, and its low weight and compact size make it easy to use, even during a long pleasure session. Finally, it has the great advantage of not making any noise when in use, unlike many models with a bottom.
Long a taboo subject, the masturbator is now one of the best-selling sex toys in the world.
Contrary to what the saying goes, size does matter (we're talking about the masturbator, of course...).
The sheath is the inner texture of the masturbator.
The manual masturbator is ideal if you prefer to stay in control of your pleasure, but the automatic masturbator provides more sensations.
There are three main types: vaginal, anal and oral.
If you use it during foreplay, it is best to use a fairly gentle one.
For obvious hygiene reasons, it must be easy to clean.
Some models can be connected to another masturbator or vibrator.
This model is large but still manages to be reasonably bulky and not too heavy compared to some of its competitors. It also has the advantage of a flat bottom, which allows it to be placed anywhere without leaking liquids inside. It has a built-in battery that can be recharged via USB and can be used on its own or via a dedicated app. The brand advertises that it does both suction and vibration, but in our tests we found the vibrations to be weak compared to other models. The suction mode proved to be very effective and realistic, providing good sensations without making too much noise. However, the app offers very few settings and only serves to remotely control the level of suction and vibration. To clean the device, simply turn the case under water and rub it well, then let it dry.
Usable as a classic masturbator, on its own, or connected to another sex toy (such as the Nora rabbit or another Max model), the Max 2 has the particularity of being equipped with a transparent stimulation sheath intended for both heterosexuals and homosexuals. Equipped with a powerful motor, it promises 360° sensations and suction control. Rechargeable by USB, it also has a good battery life of 3h30.
This masturbator has a minimalist design that makes it very practical. However, we would have preferred a flat bottom so that it can be placed upright after use. It is manual, and its lightweight and good grip make it comfortable to use. When we tested it, we found that the ridges inside were capable of providing pleasurable and stimulating sensations, although these are not as high as in the vibrating or suction models. During use, the device makes a slight hissing sound, but the noise level remains discreet. To clean it, simply remove the cover, turn it inside out and wash it under water, then let it dry and that’s it.
|Our choice, Best budget||Best mid-range||Best high-end||Budget alternative|
|Quickshot Riley Reid||Svakom Sam Neo||Lovense Max 2||Fleshlight Flight Pilot|
|Compact and easy to clean, this masturbator manages to provide many sensations despite its low price and simple design. Its two openings, one vaginal and one anal, allow for an interesting variety in its use.||It stands out for its stimulating suction mode and simple design. Two apps are also available, one to adjust the level of suction and vibration, and one to connect online.||This model is the best ally for long-distance relationships. It is controlled from your smartphone (or your partner's) and offers seven vibration modes and three 360° contraction modes.||With its discreet design and lightweight, this manual masturbator manages to provide pleasurable sensations at a competitive price. Being a penetrative model, it also allows you to finish inside and is easy to clean.|
Why trust us ?
Selectos compares and tests hundreds of products to help you buy better. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy through our links, which helps fund our work. Learn more
How did we do the tests?
We first analysed the design and hand-feel of each masturbator, to see if they were bulky or heavy, and if they could be placed in an upright position. We then used each model several times to assess the level of sensation they were able to provide and to test their various functions.
In the specific case of electronic devices, we tested all available options (vibration, suction, diameter adjustment, etc.). And when they were available, we analysed their specific application. Finally, we evaluated the level of noise emitted at different power levels, as well as their ease of cleaning.
How to choose your masturbator?
Until not so long ago it was considered a taboo subject, but today the masturbator is one of the best-selling sex toys in the world. It is a very practical object when you are alone or in a long-distance relationship.
In fact, the number of models is such that it is sometimes too difficult to find the right choice. To help you, here are some essential criteria to consider before buying.
- Size: dear gentlemen, contrary to what is usually said, size does count. I’m not talking about the penis, but the masturbator. Although not all penises are the same, most masturbators fit the general public. So, no problem unless nature has bestowed you with a redwood trunk-like member.
- How it works: honestly, at this level (and no pun intended), it’s up to you. Just keep in mind that with an automatic model, you can’t go against the movements of the machine, because you risk blocking the mechanism (or something else…). At this level, a manual model may offer more flexibility, but it is not as effective as an automatic one.
- The type: in general, there are three types (vaginal, anal and oral masturbators). Again, it is a matter of taste or your fantasies.
- The level of stimulation: it all depends on how you are going to use your masturbator: if you are using it for foreplay, a rather “soft” model is better. If it’s about exerting your stamina, a stimulating model can be a real challenge.
- The shape: there is something for everyone: realistic, fetishist, aesthetic, discreet… However, as I said, it all depends on what you are looking for. If you simply want to improve your stamina, a realistic model may be more effective.
- The material: the texture, lifespan, ease of use and ease of cleaning should be taken into account. In any case, always favour good quality and, above all, hypoallergenic products. In general, the silicone ones are considered to be the most pleasant at all levels.
- The orifice: this is the internal structure of the masturbator. Some are narrower than others, or have grooves, cracks or knots, with one or two entrances. It is decisive for the result and the variation of sensations.
- Ease of cleaning: for obvious hygiene reasons, your masturbator must be easy to clean. There are no secrets to this: check user reviews.
- Other options: is your masturbator waterproof, and hands-free, can it be connected to another masturbator or a vibrator for couples? Some “smart” models have Bluetooth connectivity that allows them to directly access visual or audio pornographic content, or to control the masturbator with the smartphone (a very convenient feature in case of a long-distance relationship).
In this selection, we have omitted the “too” realistic models, such as sex dolls or full anatomical reproductions, typically based on various porn stars.
Another model we recommend
LELO F1s V2 (£120.26 upon publication): a compact and very stimulating high-end model. It can be placed upright after use and is easy to clean. Designed to be used without large movements, and to provide sensations based solely on its vibrations, it proved its effectiveness during our tests. The downside of its design is that it makes an unpleasant sucking noise when making “jerky” movements. Its small size also prevents full penetration. In terms of application, it works well and allows many adjustments to vary the vibration levels.
Other models tested
Tenga Egg (£32.76 / 2 packs of 6 upon publication): this egg-shaped masturbator is for single use only but is particularly appreciated by users for its “spider’s web” composition: a structure that wraps around 360° to increase stimulation. Whatever the size of your penis, it adapts to all sizes. Often used in couples games, in fact, they are sold in packs of 6 (yes sir, like the eggs of those free-range hens).
Arcwave Ion (£116.91 upon publication): the first masturbator to use Pleasure Air™ technology, this device promises to bring you a new kind of orgasm. It precisely targets the penile brake with pulsating airwaves, adjustable to 8 intensities. Silent, waterproof and rechargeable, it has a lot to offer. It guarantees an autonomy of 70 minutes. Only its price may discourage the less curious.
Translated by Ramsés El Hajje