Posted on 13 May 2022
With its 6 speed levels and 3 pre-configured modes, this model proved to be particularly versatile during our tests, offering a good balance between noise pollution and the power needed to cool our computer. The possibility of adjusting the position of the fan in 5 levels further enhances this pleasure with improved ergonomics.
First, make sure that your PC has sufficient ventilation on the lower part of its body.
There are two types of cooling pads: active and passive.
The ventilation capacity should be considered.
It is important to check the connectivity according to your needs.
The noise level should also be checked, in order not to be disturbed while gaming or working.
Relatively simple, it will not be suitable for gaming but will effectively compensate for the poor performance of your internal ventilation. It is quite easy to carry around and will accompany you on your travels while being rather quiet in use. However, for gaming, it will be necessary to look for an upmarket model.
With its huge 230mm fan, the Notepad XL is a giant in this comparison. This larger size has a negative impact on its mobility but improves the performance-noise ratio with results equivalent to the TopMate C5, in terms of cooling and extremely discreet noise (a slight blast of air). Therefore, if you have the budget, go for it!
This cooling pad is capable of handling most situations, even if it remains relatively weak for gaming. Nevertheless, it is intended to improve an inefficient cooling system rather than to replace it completely, as it proved during our tests. Despite its size, which allows it to accommodate larger computers (up to 17″), it remains fairly light and compact, which is rather practical to put it in your bag.
Conceived for people who use their laptops on their legs, this model offers a good level of comfort in addition to a well-designed cooling system. However, it is not suitable for gaming computers, which generate a lot more heat and therefore require a more substantial air supply. Moreover, the noise level at full power may be uncomfortable for sensitive ears.
|Our choice, Best mid-range
|Trust Xstream Breeze
|Cooler Master NotePal XL
|Targus Lap Chill Mat
|Conceived for gamers, it has an appropriate design and uses its 5 fans to provide plenty of airflow, ideal for efficiently cooling your system.
|It provides a dose of coolness to your PC while serving as a support. It is intended for light cooling, which is usually necessary for worn-out internal ventilation.
|If you are looking for the most efficient cooling coupled with the least amount of noise, then the NotePal XL is the cooling pad you need.
|Suitable for computers up to 17", it is efficient for most uses while being easily transportable. It is also quite quiet, so you can enjoy it in any environment.
|This model has padding on the bottom to protect your legs during a prolonged use while isolating them from your laptop.
For now, there are no products available on the European market that we feel have the necessary qualities to be included in our main selection. We will be sure to provide you with interesting alternatives as soon as we become aware of them.
Why trust us ?
Selectos compares and tests hundreds of products to help you buy better. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy through our links, which helps fund our work. Learn more
How to choose your laptop cooling pad?
Sometimes your laptop feels like it’s hot enough to cook an egg… If this is the case, it may be time to invest in a cooling pad to improve airflow and bring the temperature down.
Of course, before you do anything else, it is important to make sure that your computer has enough ventilation on the lower part of its body to make the most of the contribution generated by the extra fan(s). If you have a single-body computer (such as a MacBook), the reduction will be less than with a model that has extra vents.
Here are the main criteria to consider when choosing your laptop cooling pad:
- Type of cooling pad: there are two types, passive and active (with fans). The latter are divided into several categories. For this article, we will focus on cooling supports, which fit under your computer, and suction systems, which draw hot air out of the case through the existing ventilation. The latter are more efficient but do not improve ergonomics. Watercooling systems also exist, but are far too expensive.
- Fans: these are used to provide a targeted air flow. The higher the air requirement, the higher their speed. Consequently, it is often advised to opt for larger fans, which cool more easily your computer, rather than for smaller ones, which will have to rotate much faster (and therefore produce more noise) to achieve a similar result. Accordingly, their maximum rotation speed should be as high as possible to increase the number of possibilities.
- Compatibility: in this case, it is a question of physical compatibility. The size of the cooling pad has an impact on the maximum size of the computer it can accommodate. So make sure that yours is supported by the model of your choice, otherwise you will be making an unnecessary purchase.
- Materials: to ensure a long term use, we advise you to opt for models that use robust materials. Whether thicker plastic or metal, this will minimise the risk of damage to both the structure and the fans. You should consider the strength of the power cable as well.
- Extra features: as with any high-tech device, coolers often come with extra features that can range from a simple display to show the temperature, to a whole adjustable system, by way of adjustable height. This last feature can also be used to improve the final result, as raising the support allows for better airflow.
Translated by Aylin Akturk