Updated on 3 May 2023
In our tests, this condom stood out for its many qualities and its reasonable price. Like all Skyn condoms, it is made from polyisoprene, which is safe for latex allergy sufferers. The brand’s other promise, the thinness of its condoms, is also more than fulfilled with this model, as the Original is much thinner than its standard thickness rivals. You hardly notice it when you use it, but not so much that you forget you’re wearing it. We also liked its pleasant scent, its ease of application, and its generous amount of lubricant. Finally, its premium packaging adds a touch of originality.
The different condoms we have tested.
We checked how easy they were to open.
Then we put them on to check their size, lubrication and smell.
We tested their elasticity.
We also assessed whether they were easy to put on (using a banana).
We judged their thickness and texture.
If you are looking for an affordable but good-quality condom, here is an excellent choice. Made from latex by the prestigious Durex brand, its build quality, strength and reliability of protection are among the best on the market. In our tests, we did not find its smell unpleasant, although it smells of latex. Its lubrication is above average, which is a good advantage in this price range. We didn’t experience any difficulties when it came to putting the condom on and using it. However, we hardly noticed any difference between its supposedly thin thickness and models with a standard thickness. So don’t rely too much on this sales argument used by the brand.
This high-end model from Skyn is supposed to be even thinner than the classic version to give the impression of wearing nothing. During our tests, we were impressed by its thinness, although we must admit that the difference is not considerable compared to the standard model, which is already very thin. Otherwise, the scented smell of the Skyn Elite is pleasant, and the amount of lubricant is quite generous. Despite its thinness, it is still easy to insert and comfortable to wear during intercourse. All in all, this condom is, in our opinion, the best on the market, combining excellent latex-free design quality with extraordinary thinness. Just don’t expect the sensation to be the same as unprotected sex, as even the thinnest condoms on the market don’t achieve this feat.
This condom is ideal for those who are looking for good lubrication during sex. As well as being thin, it is highly lubricated, which makes for a very attractive combination. The scent was also pleasant, and we had no problem putting it on despite its thinness and extra lubrication. Knowing that it is made from polyisoprene and not latex should maximise your chances of sexual success as it limits the risk of allergies as well as lack of lubrication.
We tested several textured models for this comparison and in our opinion, the Skyn Intense Feel came out on top in this category. The pearls are much more noticeable than in other models, perhaps because this condom is thinner than average. We found the slightly fruity smell pleasant, and the standard lubrication was just right. Despite its texture, it is easy to put on and comfortable to use. Like all Skyn models, it also has the advantage of being latex-free for allergy sufferers. In short, if you want an original condom to try new sensations with your partner, this is an excellent alternative.
|Our choice, Best mid-range
|Skyn Original (10 pcs.)
|Durex Feeling Extra (16 pcs.)
|Skyn Elite (10 pcs.)
|Skyn Extra Lube (10 pcs.)
|Skyn Intense Feel (10 pcs.)
|It is latex-free, very thin, easy to insert, has a pleasant scent and contains a good amount of lubricant. In short, a model full of qualities at a reasonable price.
|This high-quality latex condom is highly lubricated, which is a great advantage for its price. It does not smell unpleasant and is easy to insert.
|Made of polyisoprene, this ultra-thin condom offers a natural texture close to that of the skin, allowing mutual heat to pass through better, for sensations very close to unprotected sexual intercourse.
|An ideal combination to maximise sensations and avoid lubrication problems, this condom is very thin and extremely lubricated. It smells good too.
|Of all the textured condoms we have tried, this is the one we liked best because we felt the pearls more than other models. It is also very thin and smells great.
Why trust us ?
Selectos compares and tests hundreds of products to help you buy better. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy through our links, which helps fund our work. Learn more
How did we do the tests?
First, we compared the materials of each condom, specifically to identify those made of latex or polyisoprene. We then analysed and tested each condom for thickness, texture, lubrication and smell.
As we tried each condom, we also evaluated how easy they were to put on, how comfortable they were to wear and how well they stayed in place. Finally, we compared our feelings with the opinions of other users to see if our feelings were similar or not.
|Durex Feeling Extra
|Skyn Cocktail Club
|Skyn Extra Lube
|Skyn Intense Feel
How to choose your condom?
Choosing a condom can be a real challenge. Of course, there is the question of size, reliability… But not only! The names, all more promising than the others, often reveal nothing (or almost nothing) about the nature of the product and it is sometimes a little bit embarrassing to ask a seller for information.
It is therefore, first of all, necessary to know the basics:
- The material: most condoms are made from latex, a material that is strong but soft enough not to reduce sensation too much. However, it is increasingly being abandoned because of the allergic reactions it can cause. An alternative often proposed is polyurethane, which is antiallergic, but generally less flexible and noisier during intercourse, or polyisoprene, which is also anti-allergic, resistant, and as discreet as latex, but a little bit more expensive.
- The size: it is important to choose a condom that fits, otherwise it will be less effective (either it will not hold in place or it will be too tight and tear). Most manufacturers choose a standard size of around 5.3 cm in diameter and 18 cm in length. However, this may not be suitable for you. In this case, look out for models in other sizes.
- Standards: while it is tempting to jump on the first cheap condom, it is best to check that it meets basic safety standards. In Europe, the CE standard must be included for the condom to be considered safe.
Bearing this in mind, it is possible to classify condoms into four broad categories:
- Traditional condoms: usually bearing only the name of the brand or the mention “Original”, it is the basic condom, with all its simplicity, usually capable of satisfying anyone in the mission it has been assigned, namely to protect.
- Ultra-thin condoms: many manufacturers are rushing to make condoms thinner and thinner, to better preserve the original feel for both partners and almost make you forget that there is a condom. However, in practice, thinness is not everything, as other factors such as the texture itself, or the integrated lubrication (which in some cases saves you from having to buy an additional lubricant), can strongly alter perceptions.
- Ultra-resistant condoms: on the contrary, some condoms offer a strengthened thickness, which guarantees increased resistance for most acrobatic sex.
- “Sensation” condoms: while some condoms come in more original perfumes than others, others include breaded/ribbed textures designed to increase sensations and strengthen the stimulation zones (for each partner). Some even have a slightly anaesthetic gel to improve endurance or a stimulating gel with a hot/cold effect.
To make your choice, it is also best to analyse the reliability of the brands available on the market (this is something you should not joke about) and to avoid those who do not submit their products to the CE standard. Finally, as condoms are usually sold in different sizes, it may be worth looking at the price per unit.
Other condoms we recommend
Durex Nude (£1.21 / unit upon publication): reliable and very thin, but made of latex. This ultra-thin model from Durex is probably the biggest rival to the Skyn challenger. In our tests, we liked the thinness of this condom, which gave the feeling of an unprotected act. It was also easy to put on, and comfortable to use, and we didn’t find the slight latex smell unpleasant. On the other hand, its lubrication is closer to a standard dose than the extra dose claimed by the brand. We also preferred to include a non-latex condom in our top selection to avoid the risk of allergies.
Manix Skyn Cocktail Club (£1.50 / unit upon publication): perfumed models. If you want to enjoy the sensations of Manix Skyn’s polyisoprene, but with a bit of a twist, these flavoured condoms are the perfect solution. Available in three gourmet cocktail flavours (Piña Colada, Cherry Sunrise and Daiquiri Passion), they offer a lingering taste and smell that users will love.
Other condoms tested
Durex Fun Explosion (£0.47 / unit upon publication): the first thing that caught our attention was the presentation. If you don’t know which one to choose, why not try a selection? This pack contains ten ultra-slippery Feeling Sensual, ten ultra-thin Intimes, ten pearly Pleasure Me and ten strawberries flavoured. For a variety of pleasures…
Durex Essential (£0.60 / unit upon publication): on paper, this condom seemed like an attractive budget option. Unfortunately, we found the smell very unpleasant, and the lubrication was far from good.
Durex Orgasm’Intense (£0.83 / unit upon publication): has much more pronounced ridges and a ribbed, pearly texture than Durex Pleasure Ultra, yet it is barely felt during intercourse, as is its special hot/cold gel.
Durex Sexy Fraise (£0.96 / unit upon publication): Sexy Fraise has a very original strawberry flavour, but we found the smell (too chemical) a bit unpleasant.
Durex Nude Skin feel (£1.21 / unit upon publication): we don’t understand what the mention “Nude” refers to, as it is very thick. In addition, we did not like the smell at all.
Lelo Hex (£3.04 / unit upon publication): it is very thin and quite pleasant, but it smells slightly of latex and is nothing special. It was simply left out of our main selection due to its high price.
Translated by Ramsés El Hajje