Posted on 24 May 2022
Very discreet and very comfortable, the Slendertone Abs 8 is certainly one of the best abdominal belts. It combines good power with ingenious ergonomics to suit as many environments as possible. It offers good mobility to keep you moving during your sessions. Moreover, it juggles active and passive programmes, and has a clear backlit display. During our test, we found it quite easy to use.
The electrical stimulation belts work by sending painless electric pulses.
There are also vibrating models (which cause muscles to contract) and sweat models.
It is important that your device is adapted to your body shape and comfortable to wear.
Support is a crucial point for the functioning of your model.
The session time of the belt is also important so that you can adjust your schedule.
Some models have the particularity to synchronise with an application (android or iOs).
In addition to its ease of installation, this abdominal belt is, in our opinion, one of the easiest to use. It is very comfortable, provides good support and works both the central and lateral abdominals with durable electrodes. It is definitely a good deal for the curious and undemanding buyer. Moreover, the screen is well readable in the light and the menu is intuitive. However, we found it slightly bulky under clothing.
The Slendertone Abs 5 is certainly one of the best for sports training, thanks to its perfect fit and promising mobility. Despite a few shortcomings in terms of setting up, we found it relatively easy to use and ergonomic, which is why it is so popular. The vibration system is not very painful and the 130 levels of intensity make it possible to progress smoothly.
With its space-saving design and smart operation, this connected belt is very ergonomic. Easy to use and very useful for tracking your sessions, it allows buyers to reach their goals and get the most out of it. It is almost entirely managed through the app and the design is comfortable to wear. There are, however, a few synchronicity issues and bugs in the app that can sometimes hinder the smooth running of sessions.
|Our choice, Best high-end||Best budget||Best mid-range||High-end alternative|
|Slendertone Abs 8||Beurer EM 37||Slendertone Abs 5||Slendertone Connect Abs|
|This Slendertone brand device combines active and passive programmes, but it is especially interesting in terms of its design, comfortable and discreet, and its ergonomics with a backlit screen.||The Beurer EM 37 is particularly interesting because it has durable fixed electrodes that make it easy to put on. It is also easy to hold and quite comfortable. The best thing? The price/quality ratio.||It offers the desired results to both experienced athletes and beginners. In addition, the complete stimulation of the abdominal muscles allows women to regain a flat stomach after pregnancy.||In addition to its comfortable design, it is connected. It is managed from an application, which allows you to have a global feedback on your sessions, in order to better achieve your goals.|
Beurer EM 35 (£50.64 upon publication): simple to use. Although it does not push performance to the max, we think this is one of the easiest abdominal belts to use, thanks to its clear interface and quick set-up. It has several electrodes to moisten, and up to five programmes and 40 intensity levels. Its price-quality ratio is very interesting, but during our test, we found that it lacks support, making it useless for very slim people.
Beurer EM 39 (£52.50 upon publication): for the abdominal and lumbar muscles. It stands out on the market thanks to its dual function, which acts not only on the abdomen, but also on the lumbar region. This prevents possible imbalances between the two muscle groups. The electrodes work independently and there is a safety stop. But apart from its independent mechanism, which is ergonomic, safe and durable, and its quick installation, we found during our test some defects in terms of support and it is cumbersome. In addition, it is energy consuming.
Slendertone Abs 7 (£160.41 upon publication): a comfortable solution. After analysis, we relatively appreciated this belt which, apart from its somewhat disturbing installation and cable, impressed us with its comfort of use and its ergonomic and progressive mechanism. Like the Abs 8, it combines active and passive programmes. It is compatible with several useful accessories, some of which are included. In addition, it contains 150 intensity levels for a gradual progress, and the remote control is easy to read and use.
Why trust us ?
Selectos compares and tests hundreds of products to help you buy better. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy through our links, which helps fund our work. Learn more
How to choose your abdominal belt?
Even though the abdominal belt looks like a commercial tool, it can be used to support a person undergoing rehabilitation after surgery. However, it should be used with care to avoid negative impact on tendons and ligaments.
First, you should know that there are three types of models:
- The electrical stimulation belt: it works by sending electric pulses (not painful) through the abdominal muscles, resulting in muscle contraction. This system favours the firming of the muscles.
- The vibrating abdominal belt: it relies on its vibrations which cause muscular contractions and can thus stimulate targeted areas.
- The abdominal sweat belt: it stimulates sweating in the abdominal area.
In this comparison, we will focus on the first category, as it is undeniably the most effective and the one that best meets the expectations of the general public.
Here is a list of criteria to consider before buying an abdominal belt:
- Size: the first thing to check is that it suits your measurements. It is best to choose a model that can be adapted to your body shape, as you are likely to lose a few centimetres, and so you will have to adjust it afterwards.
- Comfort: for a beginner who has never used this type of device, the pulsations may seem violent at first. Thus, comfort should not only involve the absence of pain, but also the proper support of the electrodes placed on your body.
- How it works: depending on the technology, its electrodes and the parts of the body that can be worked on, the belt will be more or less versatile. Its session time will also be important so as not to trample on the time slot you have reserved for it. In the same way, if it works with batteries, it is necessary to ensure that they are resistant because, in the opposite case, it is better that it integrates a battery.
- Offered programmes: you should not only rely on the number of programmes recorded but also on the intensity levels which will allow you to personalise your sessions, according to your body’s needs. Some modes promote better recovery or are more health-oriented, while others are designed to firm up your figure or burn fat.
- Accessories: while most include an LCD screen with indications or can be adjusted with a remote control, others can be operated from an app that ensures reliable monitoring. The armband is used to work your arms, while a storage bag can be useful.
- Results: if users buy this type of device, it is to obtain quick results. However, note that there is no miracle and that it does not melt fat on its own. The use of the belt must therefore be accompanied by a healthy, balanced diet and regular physical activity. These daily gestures will help you to achieve your goals.
NB: remember that the use of a heart belt is not recommended for pregnant women, people suffering from epilepsy or cancer. Furthermore, to stimulate your muscle fibres in areas other than the abdomen, there is also the solution of electrical stimulators, which is much more reliable, according to the expert Karim Bennouri.
Translated by Aylin Akturk